Saturday 31 August 2013

Read and Like Saturday with Michaela Rhua



Take it away Mik...






Hi Raven.

Thank you for having me on your blog today.

So what do I read and like…well I thought I would take you through a short history of my developing reading tastes. I say developing because I like to try new genres to stretch my mind.

I enjoyed books as a child but I can't say I was a book worm, but I was always encouraged to read.

The very first book I bought was The Lord of the Rings, which I bought second hand from the library. I had heard it was a good book/classic etc so begged my sister to lend me the money to buy it. That started my love for fantasy/paranormal – I loved the way Tolkien created this new world, it was all so believable.

The library opened new doors – doors to new worlds, Romance through Barbara Cartland and Mills and Boon, Classics through Austen, Dickens and Shakespeare.

At school we studied To Kill A Mockingbird. I LOVE this book. It is my all time favourite book. The theme of prejudice, hypocrisy, growing up and change are so powerful. 

Recently my son has had to read it to prep for studying it so it has rekindled my love for it again.

I loved trotting through lists of must read books, all heavy tomes and deeply meaningful.

In more recent times, well I rediscovered fantasy and paranormal through JR Ward, Gena Showalter, and others such as Lara Adrian and am in the process of reading her Breed series. I love the way these writers set their stories in the world we can recognise but show us parallel or undercover community of shifters, vampires and warriors.

I like to pepper what my reading time with other genres just to stretch my mind and discover how other writers structure their stories and characters. I love words and they way others use them so I read widely to absorb the creativity of others.


Thanks again Raven…sorry it turned into more of a rambles through my likes!


It was a great ramble, R 

4 comments:

  1. Fab post!

    I love To Kill a Mockingbird too, one of my favourite books :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is such an amazing book and now my son has read it we will watch the film version too which I thought was really accurate too.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. I still have my original copy which my children asked me about when we were sorting through the shelves.

      Delete