Sunday 22 October 2023

On rediscovering somewhere

 Not a very inspiring title is it?

Sorry. 

Blame lack of sleep... The rain.. That it's almost November...The...

Okay, I blame me. The culprit. I just couldn't come up with anything better.

Sorry...

(I was trying to find a suitable icon or something here, but nothing grabbed me...in any way)

However, I digress (I love that word no idea why)

I've spent this last week in Rutland, in the English Midlands. The smallest county, in England, with the largest reservoir, Rutland Water. That's the church they had to raise to save it when the valley was flooded. Normanton.


It also has the longest brick built viaduct in the UK. Harringworth Viaduct. You can just see some of it in the background of the picture.

(source pinterest)

I went with a friend, just us two, no partners and lots of books. Which ws just as well when we got hit with the storm.



But before that we visited all over the county—and to bits outwith it. 

It took me back several decades. To places I visited to visit as a child, and then revisited twenty years later with my husband.

And things I've never seen before

(monument at Rutland Water)

And oh boy did the memories flood back. Where I'd paddled, where I'd fallen off a horse and sprained my ankle. Where my dad and I used to cycle to, go for a walk and watch the birds flying around. (And hide our jam sandwiches from them)

Stately homes and thatched cottages. 
Chocolate box charm and industrial terraces.
Such a lot to see. And rediscover.

It gave me ideas. 


Best off all,  I spent a week with a friend and chilled.

Now some of those ideas and memories are about to help with my next book.

I wonder if anyone can guess what it's about?

Happy Reading,

love Raven xxx



No comments:

Post a Comment