Tuesday 17 October 2023

Covers, and clever cover artists. Plus, catch ups, choclate biscuits and clever clogs who are 'always' correct'

 Or some such thing...

I admit this blog is late because I am not a clever clogs, anything but. 

Why do you (or do you not) ask?

Well, it's like this.

Last Sunday I was away with a mate. girls only, no husbands lets put the world to right few (ie each chocolate biscuits and grumble) days. So I sorted out a blog—or so I thought—scheduled it.

You've got it...I didn't.

So here we are

This was the beginning of the blog. Which now as it is late very very late...I've amended.

Over the years I've been lucky enough to have been published, I've been very fortunate to have been given some amazing covers. Every cover artist has gone the extra mile to try and make sure the cover is suitable for the story. 

Not easy when I do tend at times to only give a vague description of how my characters look. After being told once, very firmly, that the man on the cover looked nothing like a reader envisaged him from my description in the book, I tend to stick to things like basic physique (ie NO man boobs) hair colour, curvy etc etc. Nothing too definite (apart from the lack of man boobs) 

This cover by Emmy Ellis is one of those covers where all I said was a red distinctive dress, not of the norm, and she came up with this! Absolutely perfect. Emmy had created me ( and others) some brilliant covers over the years.)

https://www.totallybound.com/book/the-earl-and-the-courtesan-print (and Ebook)

Apart from my Totally Bound covers, Emmy has also created the covers for and edited the Christmas anthologies Cassie O'Brien and I bring out each year. Look out for the next one, A Wonderful Christmastime, very soon. I haven't got that cover yet of course but...

My first cover artist was also fabulous. Victoria Miller created most of the covers for the books I wrote for the now sadly defunct and much missed Breathless Press

As the books are mainly out of print (though some have now been rereleased elsewhere) I can't show you them easily but I thought Victoria wouldn't mind if I showed you one of them...

We both loved this cover because it was at the time very different from the normal Regency cover.

Then there's Jay Aheer who did most of my Evernight Publishing covers and like Victoria and Emmy always managed to work out exactly what's needed


This is a Dark Isle book written by me as Kera Faire and she's captured the mystique perfectly.

Amy Coveney did the covers for the Katy Lilley, Devon trilogy that is not available at the moment—until I work out how to put them on Amazon myself (I'm not the most tech savvy person in the world) I need to learn, not only because I'd like more people to be able to read them, but also becasue the covers are amazing and yes capture the spirit of the books.

There has been more artists of course. Kelly Martin for the covers for The Romansa Castle series


Erin Dameron-Hill for the Scots and the Sassenachs

I could go one and on, but I'd be sure to miss someone so i'll just say that cover artists are as essential os editors. In different ways of course, but just as bad editing can put a reader off so can an indifferent or irrelevant cover.

So than you cover artists. Like I said the other week, my books would be nowhere as appealing without then and editors.

I must add as well, for me, publishers. I've still to dip my toes in alone as a self publisher writer. Thanks to Cassie sorting out joint books out, I've not needed to but I must try...

(All my books that are still published you can find on Amazon https://www.amazon.co.uk/stores/author/B00694RHJI
and publishers websites)

Oh and in case you wonder where the always correct Clever Clogs bit comes in...
ask anyone about my bugbear...Whisky and whiskey

Scotch had no E 


(courtesy of Pinterest, our bottle is mainly empty)

and on that note,

Happy Reading,

love Raven xxx


No comments:

Post a Comment