Sunday 15 January 2023

Lucky and grateful A bit of a gluten free author's guide to lovely food in the Western Cape

 To say that until I was on the plane I didn't dare hope we'd actually get away is an understatement. After our holiday to South Africa had been cancelled two years running due to covid I could only hope and pray it would be third time lucky.


(Table Mountain from The Spice Route, Paarl)

It was. The joy and relief as the plane took off was indescribable. Okay it wasn't the new super duper seats with exits onto the aisle one we'd been due to have (technical problems) but, we were lucky. We didn't get downgraded like some poor people, I got my gluten free meal and it was more than edible and the fizz was excellent.

Before anyone says anything negative, I do know how fortunate I am. Believe me I do. We saved hard and until retirement the lovely husband worked long hours. This is our treat.

That we finally got to enjoy.

The first time we came here on holiday when I was gluten free, it was hard going. Someone even thought no bread had gluten in it! Thankfully I knew different. I ate a lot of biscuits brought from home that year.

Then I discovered Woolworth which sells Marks and Spencer food. Yee hah. Various G-F breads and rolls. Goodies like mince pies, hot cross buns, banana loaf and muffins and choc muffins. Pasta, biscuits, crackers, and in the chill cabinet, crumbed chicken escalopes. Probably a lot more, but that's what I can think of. perfect.

Plus, the two or three other biggest supermarkets sell a lot of biscuits and pastas these days, and so I am sorted. (I even got nan bread) I don't need to fill my case with food, just in case.

Some fabulous restaurants that when you say you need to be gluten free, reply no bother! I can only thank them.

(I'll make a list when I've finished writing my WIP which is due now...or last week!)

And joy of joys I got to see one of my great friends. (The other friend I didn't get close enough to, sadly.)

But we were near Cape Town and Jo and I met up. She knows all the best places to meet.

We sat above the beach and chatted for ages. It was perfect. 

I hope it's not another three years before we meet.

And darn it I forgot to take a photo of us. But whenever I look at my holiday pics, I have all the fabulous memories.


Springfield Winery in the Robertson Valley (and my favourite wine in the world, Life From Stone)

Freshline Fisheries in Knysna, The Hub in Scarborough, Protege in Franschhoek, The Aegir Project in Noordhoek, The Noisy Oyster in Paternoster, La Sosta in Swellendam...my list could go on and on. But it's not all eating out. There's nothing nicer than a braai and a nice glass of wine or beer in the garden.


Our children reckon we go around the world ( I wish) via wineries and breweries. It's an exaggeration but there is nothing nicer than sitting outside in the shade listening to live music or just looking at a lovely view. and it doesn't have to be alcohol. I'm partial to sparking water and whale watching.

We're home now, and as I watch the rain lash the patio and wonder if I'll soon be paddling to the car, I can pull up my memories.

That puts me in a good mood. (so does coffee) So I can crack on with my WIP and think, now where should I set my next book?

Happy reading,

love Raven xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment