Sunday 22 September 2024

There'a an awful lot of de-ing going on.

 To say nothing of de-ly, de-and, de-so, and of course,the dreaded de-ing.

It's that time again.


The time where I'll probably shorten this story by about 1K,

By being ruthless and taking out all those useful while you're writing your first draft words, but totally unnecessary in the finished book.

Those darn words ending in 'ing' or 'ly'. Plus, those other words we use, often without thinking. Such as, and, so, and when.

When I do my read though I'll probably find a lot more. 

Some are necessary. Needed to make the sentence flow. Those I keep.

However, others are not. I know it, the reader knows it, and they can be a big turn off.

Therefore I'm turning them off before they turn any readers off. 

Argh.

Procrastination central.


(source: pinterest)

I couldn't find my 'arghhh' pic so this is as good as...

I know it needs doing. The book needs fine tuning, actually, so do I. Or is it a kick up the you know what I need. Metaphorically speaking.
My muse has been awol, and to my shame I've let it be.
But now it's time to shake it up. 
 
Tell it to behave. Get ride of those lazy words, find alternatives or rearrange the sentence.
I know the book will be better for it. Those darned words are often used to bulk the wordage.

Naughty.

Let's just hope it now meets the required number of words.
Happy reading—
Without too many ings lys, so and when and whatver my favoured word of the story is.

Love, Raven xxx


No comments:

Post a Comment