Sunday 2 June 2024

Wi, or wi-oot thon dialect eh?

 To use the local lingo or not...

That is a question.

One I ask myself every time I write a book.

People love it or hate it. Some think it should be used to keep a character, well in character. Others think it pulls them out of the story, especially if it's words they've never heard of.

(you've guessed it, it's in a pub. The Beer Engine in Skipton, North Yorkshire)

What's the answer?

I guess as you hear so often, you can't please all of the people all of the time. So I do what I think works best. 

And compromise.

Sometimes, it feels as if the person speaking is 'false' if you don't show how they'd talk normally. Sometimes it feels false to add the dialect.

It's a minefield.

So if it's ah ken, canny, wor lass or haway th'lads, sithee, old bean, or gan on; ehh, bawbag or bait, ***

I'll only use them if  my character demands it.

What do you think?

Happy reading...or is that researching dialects?

love Raven xxx

*** translations, in order, 

I know

Good/lovely/nice

My/our wife/daughter

Go on you boys (usually re football)

See you

Old friend/chap/boy

Get on

An ignorant person, or the scrotum

Food



No comments:

Post a Comment