Sunday 7 January 2024

Where I wonder where the words have gone

 Half a century and a bit ago (blimey) I had an English teacher who said words are precious, so use them wisely.


(source: pinterest)

Not only can you play with them and sometimes make them up (hogglepodgepot anyone?), they can cheer people up, emphasis actions and explain things. But, they can also hurt. The way they are put together is important. 

The teacher added, 'Remember you can use words over and over in whichever way you choose, but how you use them will be in some way, how you as a person are defined.'


(source: Pinterest.)

At the tender age of elevenish I confess it was all a bit above my head. I loved writing and making stories up, weaving a pattern with words and painting pictures with them, but didn't know that was what I was doing—defining me.

Then I was told my essays were too flowery, too wordy (yes really) and not concise enough. I had to relearn how I used those precious words.

I suppose that was why it took so many years for me to say sod it and start playing with words again.

Now I can't imagine not deciding what words I want to sit next to each other. How a group of them make a sentence, then a paragraph and eventually a story. 

It's magic!

Sadly, sometimes it's also hard going.

Lately, those words have been most reluctant to come out and play. They remain stubbornly in my mind, and refuse to be put into words (that sounds daft but I hope you know what I mean.) The latest WIP should be called WNIP (work not in progress) It's been sulking at around 6k.

It was darned frustrating. I knew the story, I even knew how it could end. I just couldn't get it out of my mind and in print.

I could have had a stern few words with those words. A bit complicated but you get the gist. Why was it so difficult?

After all, I've just written this.

At first I thought it was because I had so many other things on the go. Then that the story I was attempting was rubbish. Then that I was in a holiday mood (which is crazy as I usually get up early on holiday and write before anyone else is around) Then I thought, 'stop making excuses, you just can't be bothered.'

So I left the story alone, flirted with another one, gave up on that as well and read instead. Did some puzzles, crosswords and so on. Drank coffee. Read some more.

Decided there was no point in worrying that my words had gone AWOL.

Then suddenly a few days ago, I woke up in the middle of the night with the whole story in my mind. Thought, yeah, yeah, if I remember any of this in the morning it will be a miracle. How many times have I written a book in my mind at night and not remembered any of it?

Too many.

But, I remembered it.

All those lovely words coming together and weaving a picture in words. Not the picture I thought it was going to be, but a fresh one. Hopefully a better one.

And those first few K that stumped me?

I've given them a stern talking to, mixed them up, saved some, let others have a holiday and introduced new ones.

So hopefully as from today, they will behave. Let me use them and give them new companions. Let me add to them, and then several thousand of them later, chose two of them so I can type

'the end".

If you'e waded though all this, if you read my blogs and or my books, then two more of those words are heartfelt.

Thank You.

Happy reading,

love Raven xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment