Sunday 25 February 2024

It's just a word...

 But a word that gives someone very unpleasant shivers.

What word?

Well that depends on who's talking (or writing)

There are certain words that are a real turn off—teeth gritters—to some people and not to others.

For me it's the word 'gotten'. I hate it with a vengeance and would write twenty words instead of using it. Got? That's fine, but gotten?

(source: pinterest)

No, no and no!

It gives me goosebumps. horrible ones. no reason, it just (another no, no it appears) does.

While we're at it, evidently horrible is another word that some people detest.

I did a straw poll amongst friends, and asked for words that they detest. That might stop them reading something or make them shudder.

It was funny just what repels some people and other's think are fine.

Just as well we're all different or the world would be a very limited and boring place.

So (that was one of the words on the no, no list) in no particular order, here's some people's bugbears.

Starting a sentence or paragraph with, and, so, when, that and why. Oh and just.

Using words that no one understands. I quite like that because then I need to look it up and I discover a new word.

Using words not in general usage like perchance in a Regency story. (Oops, I was guilty of that years ago.)

Myriad, moist, and actually.

Slang that you only understand if you're a certain age...

The list could be endless, but I decided to stop researching. I did wonder if some words could be used in specific circumstances, but generally (another no go to a couple of people) the answer was no. Find an alternative.

Therefore, no moist sponge cakes, or myriad of colours.

Duly noted.

What do you think?

Happy reading (and word avoiding)

love, Raven xxx

2 comments:

  1. 'Gotten' is regional and popular in the US South. I see it in books and it fits with the vernacular. Not a fan of 'moist' unless we're talking cake and other edibles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see it and totally understand what you mean, but still prefer got. (Blame an English Teacher who was very insistent on what words were acceptable and what were not. (He preferred us not to use 'got' either, but accepted it.) Thanks for your comment, it's much appreciated

    ReplyDelete