Sunday 14 July 2024

It's the little things

 That you take for granted...

until you can't. Like going for a walk, cooking, gardening... I could go on.

Even down to little things like bending, stretching...

A few weeks ago I had an operation which resulted on me using crutches. Both hands occupied.

And all of a sudden lots of  activities I took for granted were no longer easy. Or in some cases, impossible.

It made me take a long hard look at how, when you can do something, you don't really think about it. you just do it.

Like walking upstairs, carrying a cuppa, then making the bed. Pulling blinds up or down. Picking things off the floor. Bending, kneeling (no no no) even getting off the lowish settee.



(source:pinterest)

All things you do without any real thought when you can use both hands. With both hands wielding crutches... not a chance. 

The stairs I conquered. One stick, one hand on the bannister. The bed...hmm.lets not mention it.

I slung a bag around my neck and shoulders and put things in it. Made coffee in a spill proof mug, ignored the bed... spilled the coffee, wriggled on the bed,

But, was lucky to have a husband to look after me (and yes, cater to my every whim.)

However, I admit it wasn't easy, Biting my tongue when something wasn't done the way i'd do it. Wanting to do something, but no idea what.

I couldn't settle to anything. not writing, reading, sewing. nothing grabbed my interest.

I did my exercises bit my lips at the pain and counted the days.

Cussed at how hard it was to sit in the car for an hour to go back to hospital for check-ups. Tried not to notice things I usually take for granted which hadn't been done.

And then...

Down to one stick.

Make a cuppa, and carried it. Walked around the garden between showers. Went to the supermarket and the lovely husband pushed me around in one of the wheelchairs you can borrow. That was a real treat. 

All of a sudden I realised how much I was now able to do. The physio was pleased with me, and signed me off.

I got some edits to do—Teaching Teacher out soon from Bastet's Quill publishing—and realised I was now ready to write again.


Baby steps but oh so satisfying.

I've learnt a lot about myself these last four weeks.

And I can honestly say I will never, ever take things for granted again. Especially my health and abilities.

Onwards and upwards,

love, Raven xxx


2 comments:

  1. So glad you're progressing with the healing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, and everything I can do again I'm very thankful for. Things I won't take for granted

      Delete