Sunday 25 June 2023

excuse me, where's the...?

 It's a daft thing but I've noticed just have many different ways you can say, 'Excuse me, where are the...' and then you stop and wonder what word to use.

The loo, the toilet, the lavatory?


(source, pinterest)

They all work.

Then there's the washroom, restroom, and bathroom.

Not to mention bog, loo and carsey.

Outhouse, privy, cludgie—that's local to Scotland I think—or coyly 'the facilities'.

(source, pinterest)

Or indeed crapper which gives you an idea where that word without the 'er' on it comes from.

I bet Mr Thomas Crapper, who improved on the 's's bend never expected his name to be used for 'spending a penny', 'having a tinkle', or other such things. 

There's one expression that made me blink the first time I heard it. So did a reply I also heard.

It was in a tourist site in Scotland when a coach of people were arriving. One person walked up to a shop assistant and informed her...

"I want to go potty."

The assistant, an older lady looked at her and raised one eyebrow. "If you want to go crazy, the you're crazy already."

The person stared. "Eh?"

You said you want to go potty. that means you want to be daft, stupid, silly, mad. Potty." 

I swear the person stamped both feet. "I need the restroom." That was snapped out.

I stifled a laugh as the assistant smiled oh so sweetly.

"Oh, why didn't you say so. Over there on the left."

(source, Amazon)

Once the customer had stomped off, no doubt to join the queue for whatever you want to call it I heard the assistant mutter to a colleague that she knew fine well what a potty was but if she'd tried to get down on one she'd never get up again! Then she added 'why would anyone over the the of five use one?' Then she said she'd almost asked if the person needed their nappy changed. It's as well she didn't.

We'd probably then have heard her go on about same things, different names.

But that's for another time.

Happy reading,

take care,

love, Raven xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment