Sunday 2 July 2023

What's an ology and who wants to wear tights?

 I was reminded of this a few days ago when I came across an old post about the lovely Maureen Lipman who did an advert many years ago when she talked about someone who had an 'ology'. She was as a character called Beattie and it was for British Telecom. So many people remember the 'ohh he's got an ology.'


(source Manchester Daily News)

This got me thinking about other phrases that for some reason or other stick in mine (and maybe your) brain.

When my children were little we had an audio tape—remember those—of the great Kenneth Williams talking as a character who didn't want to play a silly part, because he was in the characters words 'I'm a serious ac-tor. I want to wear tights!'


(source, Radio Times/Getty Images)

This struck the kids as hilarious and it became one of those catchphrases they would trot out every so often.

Also from a good twenty-thirty years ago, the well loved BBC radio programme test match special was on in the car as we were driving down Sutton Bank in Yorkshire. A really steep hill, where lorries crawled up and got a long queue of traffic behind them, and caravans are banned. I remember it so vividly.

Anyway, we had almost got to the bottom of the hill, listing to the radio when we heard the commentator say 'The bowler's Holding the batsman's Willey.'

The car swerved and we began to giggle. Then heard the commentators crack up as they realised how that could be interpreted. That along with 'Ian Botham's got his leg over,'(The wicket as it transpired but that wasn't mentioned at first) are family favourites.

I could go on for ever, but I'll stop there... And say that my absolute favourite is about a story my aunt read to me when I was about two or three I guess. About a naughty kitten. Evidently I sent my aunt crazy by asking her to read the story and butting in every few seconds with' naughty pussy pickpaws?'She was pregnant with my cousin and said it was enough to want her to go into early labour just not to have to read it again.


(Source, Perla Coco designs on Facebook)

Whatever you remember, enjoy.

Happy reading,

love Raven xx

No comments:

Post a Comment