Thursday 17 January 2019

I feel a RavenRant coming on. You have been warned—but please read it anyway

Before you all wonder WTF let me show you this...



Now I'm no lawyer but I thought it was a legal requirement, or at last some effort had to be made to help any disabled person who wished to use use a shop. And if my reading is correct new or updated premises do need to make sure there is access. 

If anyone in the UK can clarify this, please do because it seems that at the point of writing (ranting) Sophie still hasn't had an answer from the store chain. They said they'd get back to her but...

It seems crazy in this day and age that a section of the population are in effect barred from doing something the rest of us take for granted. I can't imagine how it must feel to get somewhere and then be told, 'no sorry, you can't come in.' Not because you've done anything wrong, but because you can't get your wheelchair up the steps or manoeuvre your crutches through a too small door. Or whatever. 

Discrimination for any reason, (colour, creed, political inclinations, disability, wearing a maroon jumper, having a nose ring, red hair, you name it,) is not right. N O T......R I G H T......

Seriously, I mean I'm left handed, once upon a time I'd be burnt at the stake for being a witch. (No comments about that, thank you 😜😜😜😜😜) And even as a child (yes over half a century ago I know) some of me peers were forced to write right handed, but I think, hope, we've got past that.

So why haven't we got past singling out a large number of our community, and in effect banning them for doing what comes naturally to the rest of us?

Will be interested to hear the shop's response...if...when..

Gets off soap box and has a still drink.

Happier reading,

love Raven xx

 

1 comment:

  1. The Equality Act 2010 says changes or adjustments should be made to ensure you can access the following things if you’re disabled:

    education
    employment
    housing
    goods and services like shops, banks, cinemas, hospitals, council offices, leisure centres
    associations and private clubs like the Scouts and Guides, private golf clubs and working men clubs.

    This was taken from the Citizen's Advice website
    https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/law-and-courts/discrimination/what-are-the-different-types-of-discrimination/duty-to-make-reasonable-adjustments-for-disabled-people/

    ReplyDelete