Friday 25 May 2012

where I congratulate a fellow author, and muse a bit...

Today, a great friend and brilliant author Doris O'Connor found out one of her books was going into print. Yup Lure of the Blood will be coming to a bookshelf near you. Start saving, it's well worth every penny it costs.


I'm so happy for her, it's a great feeling when you see those magic works available in print or ebook. (self plug my first print book, Rogue Scandals is out June 15th) It's almost as good as getting your first acceptance.


I have no idea how she does it. She's a SAHM of 9,  and juggles kids, home, husband and writing, and makes it seem effortless. Well as well all know dust bunnies are part of life. Her books are fast paced and enjoyable; she gets stuck in and as she says, her characters drive her. Once she starts, its non stop until it's finished. It's checked over, and lucky me I get to reditit. (our word, red pen it...reditit). Not that there is ever a lot to redit, her grammar is way better than mine, but it also means a sneak preview. So it's off to the publishers, accepted and as her one of her publishers has a fast turn around, it's out in a matter of weeks. In theory, then she has a while off until her next muse hits her! (this while can vary as to how much we nag her...)

And way to go!


I seem to have more than one thing on the go at once. Oh I only write one at a time, (usually) but I seem to end up with several lots of edits all together, and then several books out in a row. And why not? I love what I do and am so amazed and pleased I've got this chance to do what I love.


Don't get me wrong, it's not all been plain sailing, both Doris and I have had our fair share of rejections, from the bald and basic no sorry to the rewrite and resubmit. but we've stuck at it, and got to where we are now, in our own ways.


It's funny how things have changed over this last year. Twelve months ago I hadn't even has a acceptance, and I wasn't published until October; now my print book will be number ten. (and there's a few more accepted and waiting their turn to come out, watch this blog. 


I sometimes wonder if my ideas will dry up, or my ability to write will stop. I hope not and judging by the number of notebooks all over the house with ideas in them, not likely to happen too soon! But if it does, well I can proudly feel I have achieved my dream. to be a published author. 


I'm so looking forward to seeing my book's spine alongside all the others on my bookshelf, and thinking, ooh that's me. Oh yes, I hope loads of people like it and buy it,  and justify my publishers faith in me,  but I can't do anything about that. I've written the best I can, and well...


But really, to anyone out there who thinks I'd love to do that but.. I have/kids/husband/animals/ TV to watch/ironing to do... so there's no time. There is time you know, it's up to you.


Then maybe I'll be writing a  blog about you one day!


If this is a load of ramblings, worse than usual, sorry folks. It's one of the few hot nights of the year we get in Scotland, the net is on and off like a ************* (you fill in the gaps) and I can't sleep. so you bear the brunt of it! Feel free to tell me to shut up.


Take care,


 R x



9 comments:

  1. Well done to you Raven. It us amazing to think a year ago you had no contract but just some 'Rs'. One year on and both you and Doris will be in print. Hats off to both of you. I will be cheering all the way to the book shop. X

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah Raven, you sweetheart, thank you:-) xxx

    Such a nice blog to wake up to. Here's to our muses hassling us for many years to come!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you both have an amazing story to tell. While its a great achievement to get e-published, seeing a book in print on the shelf must be extra special! I'm so glad you both joined in with the NV chats last year, you've really inspired me to carry on writing. I have no idea how either of you have managed to write so many words in the last twelve months though!! But keep on doing it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Susie thank you. And yes, we met through NV, and also got together with lots of other great people. All i can say to anyone is keep on writing, and remember your way of writing, your voice may not be to everyones taste, but you do what's right for you. it will fit in somewhere, and then... YAY!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Massive congratulations to you both, Raven and Doris xx

    I can't wait to get your books in print!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A lovely tribute. Congrats to both of you, Doris and Raven. I look forward to seeing your books in my local bookshops.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so awesome and inspiring :) Congrats!! I just signed my third contract with Breathless Press and it's so exciting!! Good for you on the print books as well as to Doris!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps I should note that it was Raven's inspiration of so many books out in a short time that gave me the courage to submit more :D Thanks!

      Delete
  8. Well, thanks to you all. and Leona, Wow, I'm so glad you submitted, I've never been an inspiration before! Good for you, and well done.

    ReplyDelete